Our Identity: Project U-Turn (PUT) is a Teen Pregnancy Prevention program under the prevention services division of Hope For Miami.
Our Mission: The program seeks to reduce teen pregnancy and HIV/AIDS risk behavior among Miami-Dade youth by inspiring them to envision and value positive futures for themselves.
Who we Serve: PUT partners with the Miami-Dade County Public School system to serve middle and high school youth (grades 6-12)
Our Strategy: Our approach to preventing teen pregnancy utilizes "Choosing the Best”, and "Love Notes" (evidence-based Abstinence Education curricula)
Our Activities: PUT health educators engage youth in eight weekly sessions on why “having sex” can potentially affect teens physically (STDs and pregnancy), emotionally, psychologically, socially, economically, and educationally.
Discussion topics include how to:
• identify a healthy relationship
• avoid or get out of a dangerous, unhealthy or abusive relationship
• develop the skills necessary to make good decisions
• set and reach realistic goals for the future
• recognize and avoid STDs
• process and apply information about contraceptives and their effectiveness against pregnancy and STDs
• discover and adopt practical ways to avoid inappropriate sexual advances
• understand why abstinence until marriage is optimal.
Contact: Helen DeCossio firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or call 786.388.3000